Sunday, August 15, 2010

Off My Chest...


One of the people commenting on this clip (or more accurately, the first two plus minutes) from The Crossing Guard refers to Nicholson as "royalty among pawns."

Lately, it's getting harder and harder for me not to feel the same way. I find myself walking through shopping malls three or four beats faster than the other mall-walkers, or more accurately, mall-dawdlers. I get caught behind people in traffic driving some fifteen miles below the limit, and it's all I can do not to turn into one of those road rage people you hear all about on the six o'clock news. Almost everyone speaks in monotones, cliches, obscenities--they just seem so goddamn trivial.

Yet I would like to think of myself as loving, caring, compassionate and good-hearted. I would like to think I am living up to my reputation as a decent, good man.

You know what set me off yesterday into perhaps the most acidic poem I have ever written? Sitting in Borders, looking around at everyone else in the little coffee bars. They seemed almost stuck in the same mold--in their late sixties and seventies, wearing Hawaiian shirts, golf caps, and their various infirmites like a second skin. Ordinarily I would not notice that so acutely. Yesterday, I shuddered. I could not conceive of such a fate waiting for me. That's why I wrote that poem. I was excited about it at the time. I felt a little like Jack Nicholson. ..

No comments: