Friday, July 18, 2014




The Sound of a Quiet House

The cool, crisp weekday morning
when the children are off to school
and my husband is toiling away at work.

The windows have been cracked open
letting the sweet chill into my house.

There are no children squawking or screaming,
no television caterwauling endlessly on
about nothing in particular.

There is only the gentle breeze
rattling the trees outside
and the occasional chirping of birds.

The only other sound I can hear
is the sound of my peaceful, relaxed breathing.

It’s the sound of a quiet house.

The pastel yellow walls glow in the sunshine
and the ions they conceal sing in silence.
The cool morning air
kisses my skin and caresses my being.

And as I turn the pages of the book I have waited
all night long to continue reading,
my heart swells like a balloon.

This is a sound I am grateful for.
Before I know it, the children will be home
from school, and my husband home from work,
and the flapdoodle will begin anew.

This sound, of silence, of peace, of quiet,
is also a sound of renewal, of rejuvenation.
This is what heaven must sound like.

A quiet house.

No comments: