Saturday, July 5, 2014






Senses

Digging in my feet
into the soft, sweet, cool sand.
It’s the Fourth of July
on a semicrowded beach.
The senses that had been dulled
by the wretched workaday world
are alight and at peace.

Dusk pulls her blanket over the tiny town.
I can see for miles.

The lightshow begins.
Fireworks twinkle and pop
off to my left.
They dazzle the eye
and send jaws dropping
upon even the oldest of children.

Palm trees stand and sway
with the gentle Gulf breeze,
framing the fireworks.

To my right, a storm cloud
dawdles northward, away from us.
Lightning fights a losing yet fiery battle
for our attention.
Thunder thumps and rumbles dully.

In front of me,
the Gulf of Mexico, almost unnoticed,
laps calmly upon the sand.
I dip my ankles in the warm water.
Something about it relaxes me and loosens
my muscles.

The half-moon shines
in all her ethereal glory,
bathing us in the mysterious glow.
Soon she will shine her brightest
and bring out the best in us.

Nature almost always wins over man,
and usually by a wide margin.
Except when man wants to celebrate,
and Zeus surrenders, begrudgingly though he may.

And it’s a night like this, when
all of my senses are engaged,
that I feel the most alive.

No comments: