Sunday, June 16, 2013


Mementoes

The smiling, sweet lady
with wrinkles and eyeglasses
and a tidy, whitish-blond perm.

The one I called Mom Mom.

The house on a tree-lined street
just outside of the city.
And later, the house within walking distance
from where my family lived.

The way she bubbled right along with me
when I was a beautiful blond baby boy.
The delight she took in me and three other
grandchildren.

The white Bachman’s pretzel bucket
where she would keep her pizzelles.

The Philco television in the yellow kitchen.
The dining room with the elegant table and
Grandma and Grandpa salt shakers.
The living room and the furniture really
much too beautiful to sit upon.

The upstairs den where many a night was spent
watching PBS.
The golden gavel paperweight on the desk,
My bedroom with the blue carpet and the white
bedframe.

The way she would smile whenever I saw her, and
never stopped sounding like she smiled.

Wendy’s on a Wednesday night, and the way she would ask
me if I were ready for my “cheeburger.”
Perhaps Dairy Queen, or even Friendly’s,  after that.

The skin that felt like the smoothest, softest paper.
The eyes that twinkled like diamonds in the night.

The nights I cried on her shoulder
when I got older, and perhaps older
still.
The shelter she gave me from the storms.

The fact that she was my ace in the hole.

The 1985 white Dodge Diplomat with the blue roof,
The 1989 Chrysler New Yorker, sky blue through and through,
and the 1993 Chrysler Concorde.

How she drove every Friday to get her perm done,
until her feet could no longer reach the pedals.

The pleasure I took in refueling her tank when the needle
hit the halfway mark.

The love she gave our Pop Pop, every day of their lives,
and the way her heart ached for him when he was gone.

The house she lived in,
where my mother now lives,
and where my niece, her great-grandchild,
calls her Mom Mom now, too.

The way she adored us, each and every one.
The way she would always want us to be happy and joyful.
The way Edythe was.


No comments: