Sunday, September 9, 2012


Thunder Showers, Sleepy Heads, Diane Keaton


This was the last day
Of a long, much needed
Vacation.
A Sunday.

I awoke to the sound of
Rumbling thunder—
Zeus’s tummy growling.

Soon after, the rain
Ensued, like day following
Night.

Mother Nature could have been
Grieving the death of a
Complete stranger
In the next county,
So hard was this rain.

I turned on the light,
And my phone.
What a smart phone.

I cued up Joan Didion’s
“Slouching Toward Bethlehem”,
Picking up where I had been last
Conscious.

Lightning struck closely,
With the force and volume
Of a gunshot.
It jolted me for the briefest of
Moments.
Loud noises usually do.

Soon enough, I turned the light off.
And lay my head anew on my purple
Pillow.

I closed my eyes.
My breathing was slow,
Sweet, silent and sure.

I never dozed off.

All the while, the urbane
Voice of Diane Keaton
Echoed softly in my room,
Relating stories of the Golden Land
Of California.

The softness and peace of the moment inside
Was such a perfect counterpoint
To the tumult and thunder outside.

I love moments like that.
When you lose track of time
And maybe of place.

And you melt into the moment,
So sweet and soft
As a cloud of cocoa.

No comments: