Thursday, March 8, 2012

PRIDE

I don’t remember the last time

I had a sense of pride.

I don’t remember when I last felt

That I had achieved something.

How long has it been since I could

Pat myself on the shoulder

And feel good about myself?

I really don’t know when.

When I come home at night,

Nothing in the hours that came

Before it could make me proud.

Nothing is better.

No one is stronger or wiser

Nothing good has happened

Because of me.

I haven’t brought joy to the life of another person

By good words or good deeds.

No.

I do nothing that I am proud of.

I serve no greater good.

I am a hamster.

And my only purpose

Is to run endlessly

On a wheel.

Going nowhere in particular.

Doing nothing meaningful.

Having no particular sense

Of accomplishment

Or pride.

No comments: