Saturday, March 17, 2012

MY MYSTICAL, MYTHICAL LIFE

Sometimes, when I am walking

On a street or in a store,

I take a very deep, big breath,

And I hold it as though I were

About to go underwater.

In the moment before I exhale,

My soul remembers

Where it has been.

I know that

I lived under the sea.

I was a mer-man.

I lived in the sea below Santorini,

Many thousands of years ago,

When men were gods

And those that were not

Lived in the deep,

Big blue expanse.

I was powerfully strong.

I could swim 50 miles underwater.

I breathed with gills in my stomach.

I had no sense or need

For time or for place.

My lover was absolutely beautiful.

Her red hair, her hazel eyes

Held me awestruck

And motivated me to greater strength.

Our ecstasy made us glow

Like the gods we aspired to be.

Her beauty reflected my own.

How did I die?

How did I stop swimming?

Is that just what happened?

Did a predator have the better of me

One harrowing day?

I’ve lived many lives since then.

But my soul always remembers

The first one.

I would give so much,

You would not believe

Just how much

To feel that powerful,

That gorgeous,

That magical

Again.

I want to go back into the ocean

And feel like I’m home

Again.

No comments: