Monday, May 10, 2010

A ROSE AMONG THORNS*


All I ever wanted to be
is a rose among thorns.

A glimmer of hope and
love amid the waste.

I was never meant to walk
in detritus, defoliant and dung.
I just want
that cobblestone street
where church bells are rung.

It's not in my nature to be
just a face in the crowd.
I never wanted to be
just one of the guys.

I'm not.
I never was.
I'll never be.
This is me.

My petals are too red
and smell too nice.
My wings flap too fast
and can elude
a million mice.

I close my eyes at night
and see a rose
growing too fast for
the thorns to pierce it.

I'm one in a million.
I'm unique as a unicorn.
I'm special as a snowflake.

I am me.
I'll always be.



*inspired by the song of the same name, adapted from "Gabriel's Oboe" by Ennio Morricone


No comments: